Sunday, May 20, 2007

[edwards wedding - 05.19.07 - virgina beach]


I'm here in Virginia Beach this weekend, staying at the Belvedere Motel where I always came with my family growing up. I shot a wedding yesterday for one of the old bellhops that worked at the motel.

Murphys law... and a suggestion if your a photographer... always have a backup camera. Much thanks to Jeff Standford who let me borrow his digital SLR for the weekend... my main camera did indeed poop out on me in the middle of the ceremony... i missed the exchanging of the rings portion of the ceremony because my camera would not work, it just locked up on me.

Shooting weddings is crazy. I recently turned one down because the bride to be had a VERY specific view of what she wanted. Which there is nothing wrong with at all but I knew that I couldn't match up to her expectations so I turned it down.

Its a lot of pressure... you've got one chance to capture maybe one of the most important days of peoples lives... and you never really know what the full expectations of people are when your shooting... am I moving around to much? Am I a distraction? Is my gear going to crap out me in the middle of the ceremony?

I was wondering if I wanted to continue doing this... the whole wedding photography thing... its pretty nerve wracking... I got real nervous before the rehershal on Friday... but as soon as I started shooting I was fine. And the actual wedding shooting was fine all except my technical difficulties. The couple that got married was real chill about everything which helped a ton too. I really enjoyed working for them.

Anyway... here's a few of the pics.






I think this shot should be a "After Hours Tuxedo" Ad.








And this is my favorite shot from the wedding. This is what makes me want to continue... getting that one shot... its an adventure and a learning experience. I need to buy enough CF cards that I don't have to ever delete anything on site... and I need to buy a faster CF card reader... and a back up rig... ehhh we'll see what happens.

cheers,
jim baker

p.s leave comments...

6 comments:

Chris said...

you've got an amazing feel for finding incredibly expressive shots... if it were my wedding, i would gladly pay whatever you asked... this is really quality stuff, man... keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Hello all,
This is Glenn Edwards and his new wife, Jenn, saying to anyone considering Jim for a photographer...you should consider yourself fortunate to be blessed with his services. He did an amazing job and we had a perfect day. He not only took all the shots we wanted but he was so considerate. He always kept us at ease when he could tell we were starting to stress.
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts, Jim. We really consider ourselves blessed to have had the opportunity to have you at our wedding.
Sincerely,
The Edwards Family,
Glenn, Jenn, Blaine and McKenzie

Anonymous said...

Jim,
The shots were awesome, and you did a great job working with us. We enjoyed your laid back approach, and willingness to do what we wanted. Thanks so much for these wonderful pictures, can't wait to see the rest.
Linda Rainey

silktreesmovie said...

Jim! yeah! I love em all! Thanks for sharing your stuff here with us. It's inspiring to me, and I am amazed at what you pulled off without your wide-angle. Well done...

-Michaela

Anonymous said...

Your wedding shots make me wanna get married again, just so you can be our photographer. (Remind me to show you our photos sometime. *rolling eyes*) Great work.

Jim Baker said...

thanks everyone for the comments... i know its like 4 months later... but i appreciate the feedback, i really enjoyed shooting this wedding it was beautiful.