Wednesday, December 19, 2007

condescending?

I just posted this question in a couple of the "groups" on flickr... I'd love to know your thoughts...

I've been told to watch out of my use of this angle when shooting because it can come across as condescending. This seems to be my crutch when I'm stuck with coming up with an angle to shoot at when it comes to portraits... what do you think? I'm in no way a male chauvinist, and do not shoot portraits this way to "look down on women."

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jim Baker

5365064-md.jpg
Ross and Calley

4972977-md.jpg
Daiga

4685384-md.jpg
Corrin

meg1.jpg
Megan

ieva.jpg
Ieva

jo1.jpg
Joanna

6 comments:

Oswegan said...

It really depends for me. I definately like it more than looking up someone's nose.

I think it works best in the wide angle close ups where there is some barrel distortion, and I tend to like it more in the grayscale images than in color. If you do it in color, perhaps a plain white backgrounds would give you the same effect.

~Oswegan

Oswegan said...

To me, the one of Corin is the best use of this angle.

said...

i like your angles...its more artsy than just a straight up FACE.

Johnny, Karine & Maria Elisabeth Koster said...

I don't think you should limit yourself. Photography is an art.Looking down on women is something that comes from somebody's heart, not from the angle he shoots from. Should a painter not use a certain kind of paint if someone would think it's a wrong color? Should a musician exclude a certain chord? I don't think so.
See you soon!
Johnny Koster

Jim Baker said...

thanks for your thoughts everyone.

jim baker

Cheryl said...

I always think that pictures taken from above are more flattering to me, anyway.