Wednesday, December 5, 2007

comparing work...

whats up everyone? good morning. its really hot in my office... and i'm drinking coffee from dunkin' donuts. I really like their coffee. It beats starbucks any day.

I was going through trying to catch up on comments on my blog and realized that sometimes you don't have to respond and thats okay. I was really searching for things to say to comments that were left a few weeks ago or whatever and I was just like ya know what... forget it. What is proper blog etiqutte anyway? To respond on your own page where people comment or to go to their blog and answer their question on their blog?

I wanted to show you the difference in my work from 2006 and 2007.

Here is 2006's work on Flickr.

(mainly portraits)

And here is 2007's work on photo.net
(there are a few shots from 2006 on here too though but most of them are new and no new portraits)

What I'm really pumped about is looking back next year at the work from 2008. I think its going to be my best yet.

Its hard to compare the two sets of work because 2006 is mainly portraits and 2007 is mostly not... but I'd say that 2007's work is a lot darker. But that could just be attributed to the fact that I have been doing a lot of low light photography, something I was not really able to do with out a tripod.

I'm glad that I can do more than one style of photography. A lot of people have suggested to just pick one area and focus on that. I don't really like that idea, but maybe once I've dabbled a bit in everything I will.

I've got a big long post in the works about some new gear I'd like... but I'm not sure if I'm going to post it or not... (i probably will because I'm pretty bored at work today)

I'm going to be going out and shooting tonite with Chris Hidey... i'm hoping he'll update his friggin' blog since he's had this nice new DSLR for over a month now and hasn't put up a single picture with it. haha.

jim baker

3 comments:

bonnie said...

Wow Jim, I really enjoyed looking at your 06/07 work. All wedding pictures look the same to me and I don't know how to look past "wedding" for photo quality. But I love the one of the white chairs. Now that was different and awesome. I really liked your 2006 photos. They were pretty and fun. They would be wonderful printed on note cards and given as gifts. Your 2007 work is freakin powerful. The difference is scary, like you became a totally different person, transformed!!!! I am so privileged to see your growth as a person in these. There are some very moving shots in there. Please check out this blog event: http://dcblogs.com/?p=664

Jim Baker said...

thanks bonnie. your compliments made my day, i'm really excited that there is a tangible difference in my work between the two years.

ahh wedding photography. I can't decide if i really LOVE it or not. Its honestly a lot of hard work and pretty nerve wracking because you get ONE shot at capturing things and its a pretty darn important event. But when you get some great shots for the portfolio and your client is happy and that check is in your bank account you stop complaining.

www.wpja.org will help you differentiate between good and bad wedding photography. this stuff is amazing.

I checked out that blog event... I clicked on the link about the prize and work has it blocked... haha what kind of prize is this?

picking two photos that "inspire me" i have no clue where to even start...

thanks for the heads up... maybe I'll post a blog to ask for help in picking two. do you have some ideas?

jim baker

Jim Baker said...

oops...

its .com not .org

the .com site will take you to some of the contest winning photos...

WPJA.com

when is blogger going to allow me to edit comments instead of repost?!

jim baker