Monday, December 3, 2007

12.03.07 - a couple from tonite


is anyone getting sick of seeing night photography? I sure am... but it seems like the only time I'm free to go out and about. I'm proud of this shot simply because i saw this location last weekend and wanted to shoot it, I stood on this bridge and frooze my butt of to get it plus I used my high iso/fast shutter speed trick to check my composition before I did my 30s exposure. If you look at the shadow of the fence at the bottom of the frame its pretty straight... but the way the light pole bends throws my horizontal lines off. i quit.


this is some golf house.
jim baker

3 comments:

Lisa Christine Photo said...

Hey Jim!
Yeah I just got the 5d a couple of weeks ago. It's a world of difference. I was having some back focus issues with my 30d and have none with the 5d. And the overall quality of the images. It's amazing :)
Most of my e-sessions and other portrait sessions are all done with natural light. (However, the senior session I shot of Brittney last month, we played around with some off camera light.)

Thanks!

bonnie said...

I'm not sick of your night photography. It's kind of become a signature of your work. I like it though when you experiment or swing away from the places you are bored with. I liked the graveyard shots a lot. Remember those? Could you do anything less urban at night, for fun?

Jim Baker said...

ahhh the graveyard shot... i do really want to go shoot some grave stones, my friend took a photography class and everytime we talk she has all these rad locations that she's been holding out on me... she said I should go shoot grave stones at this gravesite up off 40 (i ate lunch there with her one day with another friend and my youth pastor, weird huh? but it was suprisngly peaceful) I guess the childrens graves have really cool stone angels and stuff.

i stay urban at night because thats where the lights are... but I should experiement... i want to do some star trail photography i think that looks like a lot of fun. I'd need to take a hike out of columbia though, you can't see stars here for crap.

jim baker