Sunday, September 23, 2007

09.23.07 - wheaton park


Chris Hidey and I were trying to figure out where we wanted to shoot tonite... and Chris gets the award for best location scout ever. He picked Wheaton park, and I expectected it to just be like the parks around here, a path and a fake 'pond' but this place was dope. Its a bit of a hike from my place but i seriously could spend like 2 weeks in this location. It has a series of different gardens and then some ponds. Its the perfect location for macros and I'd love to take portraits there too. Tonight was a fun scouting trip, it was to dark once we got there, the suns setting earlier now, and traffic on 495 sucked.



Messin' with the ballhead... i wasn't sure how functional the ball head really was but I like it. (Does anyone have a reason why i should take the quick release plate off of my camera when i'm just storing my camera or is that okay?)

pretty disgusting bokeh huh?
(thats photography terminology for the blur in the background)
this makes me want to go buy that macro lens even more.

macro photography is going to take a ton of patience, working with a tripod takes a lot more time than I ussualy like to take but hopefully it will pay off.

Tonight was the first time using the tripod but I'm happy with it. I think its light enough that it shouldn't be a problem. Longer hikes I'll probably need to find something else to do with it though.

I need to spend some time cleaning my sensor again... those spots were left over though from the last cleaning. This time I'm going to get it nice and (i wish you could see me trying to figure out how to spell the word I'm trying to spell... i'll just say, nice and good.
(thuro?... thurough? pshh... why can't english be easy?)
i'm to lazy to look it up tonite.

thanks to everyone that posts on a regular basis I really appreciate it. If any of you want to shoot sometime I'd love to kick it with you so hit me up and lemme know.

Hannah Brogi and Sarah Y are the only two that have continued on with our game of tag.
Thank you to them for playing... and the rest of you...

GET ON IT!
jim baker

18 comments:

JStanford said...

excuse me for not having any inappropriate fun while I have my camera with me. I'll get on that...eventually. :D

Jim Baker said...

theres no excuse Jeff... none.

go to your room.

JStanford said...

I am already in my room, thank you.

Jim Baker said...

jeff... when are you coming back this way?

JStanford said...

I'll be in town for the first half of Thanksgiving week, and then for a month starting Dec. 14

Jim Baker said...

we need to kick it and shoot for sure...

TheoJunkie said...

Jimbo...

1) Keep the quick release plate on your camera, as long as it fits in your bag. I think that's why God created quick release plates.

2) Don't do 495... take 32 over to 108 south, then left on 97/Georgia Avenue south... goes down to Wheaton (You may have to veer off onto N.H. Ave... can't remember, but the point is to miss 495...)

Jim Baker said...

MUSMANN!!!!

i'll look it up on google maps, thanks for checking in again...

do you dabble in photography at all?

i bet you know some good spots... we should kick it soon.

jim baker

hb said...

awesome
i love the bokeh one, ahahaha i'm becoming a speaking photographer

Jim Baker said...

lol... yeah hannah way to speak the lingo. :)

JStanford said...

yeah I'll def do that...I want to go explore some places anyway...just in case we need locations if we make another movie next summer...

Jim Baker said...

a movie? do you know of any good locations? fill me in man.

Sarah said...

i want to speak the lingo!


haha

Jim Baker said...

hmm... try to pick up as many 'photography vocab words' as you can and try to use them when you comment on upcoming posts...

haha :)

TheoJunkie said...

Jim,

No... I used to lust after a dark room, etc etc etc... at one point I was going to be a Nat Geo photographer...

I haven't picked up the camera in years.

However... if you ever get up to Mt. Desert Island / Bar Harbor, Maine... thems some gooood shootin.

Jim Baker said...

i have a friend that just went to bar harbor... i've never been up to the north east. so you did dabble with photography... i thought so.

we should hang out and shoot soon... dust that camera off. lets go!

JStanford said...

yeah we made a movie

there's an abandoned box plant w/security guard down ilchester road, a ruined catholic church in the woods behind my house (and nearby rusted '50s caddys), and some other interesting spots along the river.

Apparently there is an old TB hospital ruin thing down near Marriottsville, and some cool stuff more east of here on the Patapsco

Jim Baker said...

i've heard of all these spots... i also hear theres a waterfall in patapsco thats large enough to jump off of... people need to show me these spots.

wheres this movie at?